Sunday, February 14, 2010

Portugal.

This is my first wine posting. I figured it was about time I added a little wine to my whine.

Tonight I am drinking Terras De Monforte, a red blend from Portugal. I have come to appreciate what Portugal has to offer, especially the red blends made from traditional grapes that the average consumer has never heard of and is afraid to try. This wine has only served to reinforce this. I am truly impressed with this wine given its price point. It has a luscious nose of ripe red fruit, spice and vanilla. The mouth is full bodied and smooth. It is made with Trincadeira, Aragonez and Alfroncheiro.

Trincaderia is found all over Portugal and is also known as Tinta Amarela and is known for good tanins and blackberry-jelly fruit and some herbaceousness.

Aragones, more commonly known as Tempranillo around the world, is known to produce juicy, plummy, spicy reds.

Alfroncheiro is a relatively unknown grape which produces wines with good colour and blackberry and spicy flavours.

So if your looking for wines with a good quality to price point be adventurous and look to Portugal and their blends of traditional grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment